Add Reply
New Poll

No Rest for the Weary, OPEN
Gentry 22 Posts
Posted on: Jul 7 2017, 05:25 PM
Played by JB 33 years Single Wolverhampton, England

A shadow is cast wherever he stands

Stacks of green paper in his red right hand

The only sound in the room was the tapping of shoes as they paced back and forth across the wooden floors. A pause here and there and then the ruffling of paper and the scribble on parchment. This wasn't right. None of it made any sense. A curse here, mumbling there. It was all beginning to take its toll on the constable as a dull throb commenced in the middle of his forehead. He placed his palms into his eyes and pushed.

"Not now."

Dorian had been locked in his study for almost all of two days, going over documents and letters, trying to figure out what was going on in his town. One of the watchmen had come to tell him of more grim news this week; as if this month hadn't had enough. Another person had gone missing after dark on their way bythe Preston Manor. It was the third one in the past two months. Why people decided to take a stroll near that dark land was beyond him. Had they not heard of the things that have gone on around that place? Or did they just not care and wanted to be bold and take a look for themselves?

It was time for him to make a personal visit. He'd sent a couple watchmen to the manor after the second disappearance to see if they had noticed anything odd around the same time. Of course no one had seen or heard a peep, then again, they had only been occupying the residence for just a week or two at the time. Any unusual happenings would be chalked up to new house jitters and being in a new city.

At the time of the first disappearance, no one occupied the Preston land, therefore there was a wide web of suspects. He was always so close to narrowing down his list before something else happened in town and slowed down his investigation.

After a while of pacing and writing, he was brought out of his thoughts by a light rap on the door. Before he could even give permission for entrance, the door opened and Sylvia, his house maid, peeked in.

"I'm sorry to disturb you, sir, but you have a visitor," she hesitated for a moment and Dorian took a step forward.

"Yes?" He queried impatiently.

"Tis none of my concern, but I think you should see this one," she breathed, worry etched in her features. Dorian nodded once.

"Send them in."

for OPEN

Open for anyone!

&

--------------------
user posted image
Nobles 11 Posts
Posted on: Sep 3 2017, 03:04 PM
Played by Megs 18 years Engaged Nobilitiy
i am no angel
It had been several weeks since the Preston family had moved to Dershingham Vale and, aside from several Watchmen, the family had not been seen by the rest of the town. Indeed, they might have remained completely sheltered from the prying eyes had those who had most recently called on the Manor not been sent by the Constable. It was at the wishes of Mrs. Preston that Margaret and her two brothers remain well within the estate for the first month or so of them being there. A request that seemed peculiar at best, but for a time it was done without much complaint.

There were many rooms within their new home, and stairways leading to crawl spaces that were as intriguing as they were frightening, that the eldest of the three children had much to do for a time. Then a week went by, then ten days, and soon being trapped inside the manor had become more unbearable than she had thought possible. Books, while usually devoured greedily, were tossed aside with contempt. Words printed on a page held no excitement compared to an unexplored town and grounds. When finally Margaret had gathered the courage to slip past her mother’s watchful eye and explore the thicket bordering their property, she dearly wished she hadn’t. The stories that had been told to her by a kitchen maid had seemed to come true before her very eyes and the remainer of the night had been spent safely in her room, with the door locked.

The strangeness surrounding the Preston manor didn’t end there for the girl, several days later she woke in the dead of night to the sound of the floorboards outside her bedroom creaking. Carefully, with the upmost caution, she had crawled on her hands and knees to peer through the gap between the door and the floor. Quietly, with bated breath, she strained her eyes in the darkness in hopes of catching a glimpse of shoes, at the very least. With each passing second she grew more and more anxious, her body leaning forward to get a better look. When she was but three inches away, a hand shot beneath the door, shaking the solid wood from force. It had taken every bit of self-control for her to not cry out in fear as long fingers stretched outward toward her face.

It had been after this that she had resolved on seeing the Constable herself. Even if she had been forbidden leave the home and while there were many possibilities to what had happened to her that night, she couldn’t shake the feeling of exposure she now felt each time she walked the halls of the Preston Manner.

It was late in the afternoon when Margaret reached the residence of the town’s Constable and she found herself quite anxious about the meeting. She had traveled there with her maid, Frankie, who had insisted on lecturing her for the entire walk. But none of the earnest words had made it into the young girl’s head. Instead they had slipped by without even a thought and finally they found themselves on his doorstep.

The two women were let in by a maid and upon seeing Margaret, and guessing who she might be, she promptly left them to inform Dorian LeMont of his newly arrived guest.

”Wait for me here, Frankie. I think it’s best I speak to him by myself.” Ms. Preston wrung her hands together and felt herself jump when she was informed that she would be seen in his office. Slowly, she made her way down the hall and stepped into the room after being announced by the man’s maid. Ms. Preston, to see you. For a moment, she remained silent. Her eyes scanning the room and taking in the cluttered stacks of papers before landing on the face of the person she had gone through all this trouble to see. A first impression was that he was tired, more acutely, that he was stressed. She couldn’t think of a reason why he wouldn’t be, especially with all that seemed to be happening in a usually quiet town.

“I was told you were the person I ought to speak to, regarding some matters that have been happening at my home. “ Her voice carried strongly, as any noble woman was trained to be, but her knuckles had turned white as she clasped her hands together painfully hard. “I am not unaware of the—issues happening in Dershingham Vale and I would like to report several other instances.”

tag: @JB
count: 770 // notes: sorry about any typos and such!!
spenny
Gentry 22 Posts
Posted on: Sep 5 2017, 01:01 AM

'Ms. Preston to see you.'

Dorian blinked a couple of times. Had he heard her correctly? Surely his headache wasn't that bad. But when Syliva gave way to reveal the unexpected guest, he was still surprised to say the least. It was one of those rare moments where he was caught off guard and it showed. Even though she had been introduced, it shocked him. He snapped out of his reverie and shook his head lightly when the visitor addressed him.

He narrowed his eyes as he listened intently, placing his hands behind his back as he so often did when he was feeling rather pensive. For someone from the Preston Manor to come to him regarding manners of the home, it must have been something of great importance. No one had seen anyone from that family since they arrived in Dershingham Vale, not even Dorian. No one except the watchmen he'd sent out a month ago.

At the mention of her reporting to him about what was going on, the constable's eyes lit up. Had he not been pouring over this case just before she walked in? Coincidence? Dorian didn't think so. He noticed her demeanor and softened his gaze.

"Please forgive me. How do you do, Ms. Preston? Constable LaMont." He queried, pulling one hand from behind his back and extending it.

"I ask that you pardon me and my...untidyness," the constable uttered, moving towards a chaise near his desk and grabbing a scattered stack of papers. He paused for a moment. "I may be able to assist you in the matter that you speak of, please, have a seat if you will."

Discarding the papers in a drawer on his desk, he turned to face Ms. Preston. He was a bit embarrassed having an unexpected visitor in the privacy of his office, but there was nothing he could do about it now.

"And what are these instances that you speak of, if I may be bold enough to ask so promptly?" The constable wasted no time in getting information.

for Margaret

Bleh, next post will be better.

&

--------------------
user posted image
Nobles 11 Posts
Posted on: Sep 8 2017, 06:47 PM
i am no angel
Had it been under other circumstances she might have observed the Constable in a different light, taking in his handsome features and finding herself quite eager for his attention. However, it was not the time nor the place for such things to be considered, so we he stretched out his hand she took it and shook it firmly, trying to find herself under the layer of stress and fear. Where was the daughter of a nobleman? Surely, she was there somewhere and aware that she was perfectly capable of handling this situation rationally and calmly.

“Thank you, Constable.” Margaret’s voice was soft, but not timid. Her hand withdrawing to her side and she listened to him quietly as he asked her to excuse his untidiness. She wasn’t sure what she had expected of a man of his profession, but she didn’t think it unusual that his office might be overrun with papers.

“It’s no matter.” Her eyes didn’t leave his face to sweep the room as her mother’s might have. She could almost hear the soft tut from Mrs. Preston, her disapproving click of the tongue when things did not appear exactly as she wanted them. For her mother, the office would have been a great disappointment and she might have even offered her gracious advise on how to better organize such a space.

At his suggestion she sat in a chair and folded her hands neatly in her lap, then remained silent for a moment or two. “I need to be sure that what I am about to tell you will not leave this room. It is my intention to seek your help to figure out what is happening in and around my home, but my confessions cannot leave this office or your head.” Ms. Preston stopped. “There is a chance I should have confided in a priest, but I chose you instead. Do I have your word?”

count: 328 // notes: sorry about any typos and such!!
spenny
Gentry 22 Posts
Posted on: Sep 12 2017, 08:14 PM

So many thoughts raced through Dorian's mind the moment Ms. Preston walked through his door. If it had not been for the fact that he had just been going over this particular case and was coming to the conclusion that he had to make a house call, he wouldn't feel a nagging feeling bubbling in the pit of his stomach. He tried his hardest to quell all of those questions to make sure he didn't miss a thing she had to relay to him.

When she finally spoke again, he was more than ready to receive the news and he was a patient man, so he would listen for as long as she needed him to. The last sentence stuck out to him.

'Do I have your word?'

Dorian was not a man of loose lips and didn't take his position lightly. He prided himself on his confidentiality with anyone that came in contact with him about a crime.

Bowing his head slightly, "Of course, Ms. Preston. Confidentiality is of the utmost importance." He narrowed his eyes. What did she have to tell him?

for Margaret

&

--------------------
user posted image
Nobles 11 Posts
Posted on: Sep 26 2017, 05:37 PM
i am no angel
Ms. Preston stood up from the chair and promptly paced about the room, her hands tightly clasped together and wringing in anxiety. Surely this whole thing wasn’t that big of a deal? And her asking for aid would not make the worst come to fruition? But there was a foreboding sense of damnation attached to this place. The Vale gave her an unsettling in her stomach and her new home, the manor, caused her to wake in a cold sweat in the middle of the night.

“I will hold you to your word, Constable.” Margaret paused in her pacing and let out a small sigh. Where should she begin?

“About two weeks after we moved here, I went into the thicket to see what it was all about. One of our maids…she told me some of the stories going around town.” Yes, the rumors about the Preston family, the curse, and the strange things that seemed to happen around the thicket. “I saw someone in there, but only the outline because it was so dark.” The young woman’s body began moving around the room again, her brows knitting together in attempt to keep herself calm and collected. “I ran and I hid in my room, but an hour later I saw my mother come out of the woods and it looked like she had been talking someone…She wasn’t facing the house, but the treeline.” Nervously, her fingers fiddled with the fabric of her dress, her eyes finally raising to observe the face of the constable. “That isn’t all. Several days later, I could hear someone outside my room and I crawled onto the floor to try to see their shoes or something that could help identify them. That was when a hand shot under the door and began shaking it…I was so terrified, but I couldn’t make a single noise!” Margaret collapsed back into the chair, unable to keep herself standing for any longer.

“I would like you to investigate the people working in my home. The entire staff is newly hired, except a few maids. And I don’t suspect anyone who has been with us for very long.”

count: 328 // notes: sorry about any typos and such!!
spenny
Gentry 22 Posts
Posted on: Oct 9 2017, 01:49 AM

She had finally gave him the benefit of the doubt after considering his trustworthiness. Even though she had not been in this town for long, she had chosen the right person to speak with and to help solve whatever may have been troubling her. Besides, who else would one put their trust in around this town? Most could not hold water if they had a 10 gallon bucket.

Dorian watched with thoughtful eyes, almost brooding to be honest, as Margaret Preston stood and began pacing about the room. She appeared more agitated than he had been before his maid knocked on his door. He looked on, making note of her behavior and mannerisms, not letting his face display any signs of emotion at the moment.

When the first sentence escaped her lips, he nearly winced. What was it about that thicket that would draw one towards it? One must be quite mad to even want to go near it after hearing such horrid rumors about it. Now Dorian was no superstitious man and he certainly didn't consider himself a devout religious nut, but even he avoided that part of town if he could help it. Rumors or not, it was not a safe place to be at a time like this. Especially for any newcomers. Instead of speaking, he nodded his head for her to continue.

The constable quirked a brow as Ms. Preston continued her story. She had seen not one person, but two? And one was her own mother? What would possess that woman to go into the thicket to speak with someone? Did she know someone from The Vale beforehand? Had she known them long? Who was this mystery person that had frightened the daughter so? So many questions that needed answers.

His eyes flickered towards her hands as they pestered her dress and back up to Ms. Preston's face. He didn't know what to make of her or her tale as of yet and placed his arms behind his back and narrowed his eyes slightly, deep in thought.

The next part of her tale caused him to stand up straighter and pay more attention. And as she sat back down on the chair in his office, he himself began to pace about. What an odd thing to say. Who would want to frighten her? Did she know something of great importance to the family and is being badgered into silence?

He would keep most of this thoughts to himself. That is, until he got a better feel for the entire family. The visit he had been planning was now a priority with him. With a nod of his head, and a moment of silence, Dorian chose his next words carefully.

"I can most certainly look into the staff at Preston Manor. But first, I do have a few questions of my own." He paused and took a deep breath. "Your family, have they had any dealings with Dershingham Vale or anyone living here before moving?" He queried giving her time to answer.

"You say someone shook the door to your bedroom, am I correct?" He asked. "Were you able to see anything under the door before that incident?" Dorian didn't not want to overload her with the many questions he had, but those would suffice for now.

This was starting to be something of great interest, this case. It could be that someone was playing tricks on Ms. Preston as far as the door shaking went. How she could just suspect only the newly hired staff was questionable as he had heard a few things about the family as well. And it definitely painted a picture of the Prestons they surely did not want others to see. Now the mother was an entirely different thing altogether. And a visit would certainly help him solidify his bubbling thoughts and conclusions.

for Margaret

&

--------------------
user posted image
Nobles 11 Posts
Posted on: Oct 22 2017, 07:50 PM
i am no angel
Margaret felt as if she had somehow betrayed a carefully kept secret, though there was no evidence that she had. It was a genuine concern of hers as to why her mother had been in the thicket at all. Though, now that she had considered it, the same question could have been asked about her.

Why had she stupidly (or daringly) gone into the woods that evening? It was a question she had asked herself a few times and she was ashamed to admit that it was all due to curiosity. After being told horrid stories she felt an inclination to explore beyond the tree-line and investigate for any truth in those ill-humored words. Because that’s what they were, after all. They were just rumors and stories. The tales sounded like the sort of nonsense simple-minded villagers made up to keep their children away from the forest. Had she felt any real danger lurked in those darkened pieces of the Vale, she might not have gone at all. Yet she had and now she was here, sitting in a chair in the Constables home.

Yes, of course he does. she thought to herself and waited as the man expressed his first concern. It was always astonishing how men assumed that the minds of the ‘fairer sex’ could not handle the retelling of important details. But she did not voice this little irritation and instead nodded to express that she understood the meaning behind him asking. “I do not think so. Our family tends to keep our business within London and Brighton. Most of our social circles do not extend beyond the reach of the …more usual places for nobility to reside.” She adjusted her words accordingly, as she had been made aware recently that there was an old woman and her niece that lived in Dershingham. Both were of equal rank as she.

Leaning back into the chair, she let out a long sigh and rubbed her hands over her face. “Yes, but their hand was under the door. Reaching out at me. It was not as if they were trying the handle or simply shaking the door…They were reaching out to touch me.” Margaret had two younger brothers. Both of which were unusual and had a tendency to do things to put her on edge. But this did not seem like one of their pranks. If it had been, they would have shown themselves afterward and explained ‘what a good joke’ it had all been. “I couldn’t see anything. It was too dark beyond the door.”

Pausing, she looked at the Constable with a firm gaze. “There are a few members of staff I do not wish to have investigated. And I would also like you to talk to my brothers. They…they’re different. Twins you know and I’ve heard things said about them that I cannot confirm or deny. But one of my staff, Becky… she’s a skittish girl, but very sweet. I won’t have her pestered. I think she might have had a bit of a bad childhood and I won’t be the reason for anymore trauma in her young life.”

count: 532 // notes:ooooo getting good
spenny
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Affiliates
Directory & Topsite Listings
RPG-DDistant FantasiesCandyland Couture Shadowplay TopsitesRP LoversTop RP SitesUnbound Topsites - A Video Game RP Listing
Static Affiliates
ProseMoorland ManorWe Are DeathlessSaints Sleep Frisson RPG
Scrolling Affiliates
affiliates go here

skin by luna @ caution/shine. code script by jawn @ back to neverland